Monday, May 18, 2009

Recent readings

recently I read some books
Somnath(Hindi) by Acharya Chatursen, a short novel of RK Narayana and collection of short stories by Ruskin Bond.

The writing of Acharya Charutsen are just awsome, and if you try to review his Historical works like "Vaishali Ki Nagarvadhu"( meaning The city bride of vashali") , these works are just par excellence. When I was starting to read Vaishali Ki Nagarvadhu(some 1 yr back), I went through the introduction written by Acahrya Chatursen. he said "... after finishing this work I feel so elated that I happily disown all my previous literary work of 40 years and here I present in front of you my first work".
Just reading this I realised what a gem of a book the novel was and I was not a bit disappaointed.

The author did a long long study of Jainism, Buddism and other social condition like a dedicated historian and then with his superb narration and mesmersing style come out with this story.

Coming back to Somnath, when I saw the author name I was in no doubt that I again have found a really nice way to spend my time. And Somnath helped me to peacefully pass my time when I was travelling to my home from Hyderabad in a 2nd Class coach, during the month of May !!.

Since Somnath as the name suggests is written to present the historical events of the ransacking of Somanth temple by Mommd of Ghazni. so I was very much inquisitive how such a misfortune was allowed to happen by the kings and ruler of that time. So then with a mix of fiction and Historical facts the author presnts such a beautiful and vivid pictur eof the whole event that in the end I was praying that what ever was written should have actually happen long back in history. meaning Mommd of Ghazni did ransack Somnath temple in Gujrat , but he on his way back is looted of all the loot and went back a changed man.

To do justise to people like me and not to have fantasy be mixed with historical facts , the author clearly clarifies the separation of facts with his own creation.

Maybe another post will be needed to lighten my heart of all the burden that I am carrying in my heart and mind after reading this another excellent work.

Acharya Chatursen , he has clearly become my favorite Hindi writer. How I wish I could read more of his work and somehow present my respects to this priest , which I felt after realising his great dedication, honesty and the great service he has done to Hindi Literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment